Tuesday, November 3, 2009

is it "chili" in here?

Fall is, by far, my favorite season of the year. Pumpkin Spice lattes, new sweaters, perfect temperatures ... if there was a place where a New England-esque fall existed all year, I would move there in a heart beat. Some of the recipes that come with fall are favorites too - my Mom's chili recipe being at the top of the list. I'm pretty picky about chili. I've never come acros a bowl that's surpassed one of my Mom's. I did come across a great "quick" chili this week though in a cookbook that the Jason's Mom sent to me, and that's what we had for dinner tonight. It was souper easy (ha! couldn't help myself) and actually came out way better than I thought it did, though we did make a few changes. Here is is:

after5chef quick chili:

- 4 chicken sausages, in 1/2" slices (go with a spicy flavor if you can find it - we used sundried tomato, which was great)
- 2 cans (15.5oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (15 oz) turkey chili with beans
- 1 can (8 oz) whole kernel corn
- Hot Sauce, to taste

Put a little olive oil in the skillet, and cook the sausage pieces. While they're browning, combine the tomatoes, turkey chili and corn in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. When the sausages are done, add them in and simmer the whole thing for 4 to 5 minutes (or whenever you're ready to eat). You can add the hot sauce into the whole pot, or in your individual bowls. Yield: 2 to 3 servings. Goes gerat with crusty bread (and leaves enough for a leftovers lunch at work tomorrow!)

The hot sauce was Jason's idea. I'll admit I was skeptical... but it added a nice touch! He likes things really spicy, so he handled his own hot sauce and it worked out great.

Quick recap: 5 ingredients (read: cheap!!), less than 20 minutes to prepare, and it passed the picky-boyfriend test. Definately a "make again" recipe!

all the best,

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment