Monday, November 2, 2009

read the label

Tonight: Chicken Pot Pie

It seems ironic that the official kick-off night of the after5chef is going to be a frozen dinner. Really? This is supposed to be about cooking: fresh ingredients, slow food, local vegetables .... and I here I am with a frozen chicken pot pie in the oven. Granted, it's an all natural one from the Clear Conscience Cafe in Central Square, but still.

I considered making something else tonight, something a little more impressive. But, the more I think about it, the more this is actually entirely appropriate. My intention with the after5chef is to share recipes and ideas for busy young professionals who can't relate to the "busy mom" angle or the professional chef. The twentysomething is somewhere in between - we want food that's easy to make, while still being good for you. It has to be a little grown-up (we're past pb&j or ramen every night) but it still has to be fun to eat (I love chicken fingers). So, all that said, I'm sticking with my chicken pot pie. Why not - it's protein and vegetables ... all in one place! And the best part? Leftovers to take for lunch at work tomorrow!

So the lesson? Frozen doesn't equal bad .... just make sure you read the ingredients. This pot pie (Blakes's) had a list of ingredients that I could have made the pot pie with myself (had I had the time). I don't know about you, but my pantry doesn't have any emulsifiers in it.

all the best,

Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment